Other Places to Visit
Arts and Leisure
Tours of Stratford
Events in Stratford
Transport and Travel
Sports in Stratford
Books on Stratford
Where to Buy the Map
Every reasonable effort has
been made to ensure that the information given is correct, but Mushroom
Publishing cannot accept responsibility for any errors or omissions.
To avoid disappointment,
we recommend that you contact the venue ahead of your visit to check the
us with your suggestions, ideas, comments, or new information.
Places to Visit in Stratford
presented on these Stratford pages is based on the Stratford-upon-Avon
Street Map and Guide
the Shakespearean Properties, Stratford has
plenty of other attractions for the visitor:
Rother Street. Given to the town by George W. Childs, a journalist
from Philadelphia, in 1887.
Tramway Walk, Stratford-upon-Avon, CV37 7LS
Tel: 01789 299288
Fax: 01789 415878
Open every day 10am-6pm in summer and 10am-dusk in winter
Walk amongst hundreds of exotic butterflies in this rainforest environment,
with tropical plants and waterfalls. Meet the world's largest spider in
Arachnoland, and visit Insect City - your chance to be a fly on the wall
and watch some of the world's most fascinating creatures, including ants,
beetles and stick insects, in their "natural" habitats all safely
behind glass! Wheelchair access to all areas. Gift shop.
This monument was presented to the town in 1888 by Lord Ronald Sutherland
Gower, and features Shakespeare surrounded by life-size statues of Prince
Hal, Hamlet, Lady Macbeth and Falstaff, that symbolise history, philosophy,
tragedy and comedy.
Chapel Lane. The Chapel was first built in 1269 by the Guild of the Holy
Cross, a group of wealthy citizens who also built the adjoining Guildhall
and Almshouses. During the 15th century, Hugh Clopton, a member of the
Guild who became a Lord Mayor of London, largely rebuilt the Chapel. He
also provided Stratford's stone bridge over the River Avon.
HARVARD HOUSE &
MUSEUM OF BRITISH PEWTER
High Street, Stratford-upon-Avon
Tel: 01789 204507
This eye-catching house with its beautiful carved timbers was built by Thomas Rogers after a fire destroyed the previous house in 1596. In 1605, his daughter Katherine married Robert Harvard and it was their son John, born in 1607, who emigrated to America and founded Harvard University. The building now houses the Museum of British Pewter.
Open 12pm-5pm, 23rd May to 2nd September. Friday to Sunday and Bank Holiday Mondays only; also open Wednesdays and Thursdays from 9th July to 31st August. Limited disabled access. No toilet facilities.
CHURCH AND SHAKESPEARE'S TOMB
Trinity Street, Stratford-upon-Avon
Tel: 01789 266316
Open April to September 8.30am-6pm Mon to Sat, 12.30pm-5pm Sun; November to February 9am-4pm Mon to Sat, 12.30pm-5pm Sun. March and October 9am-5pm Mon to Sat, 12.30pm-5pm Sun. Last entry 20 minutes before closing. Closed to visitors on Good Friday, Christmas Day, Boxing Day and New Year’s Day.
most beautiful Parish Church, standing in attractive grounds on the banks
of the River Avon and dating in parts from the twelfth century, is the
final resting place of William Shakespeare and his family. The Parish
Register shows that William was christened here by vicar Bretchgirdle
on 26th April 1564, and the font has survived the centuries and stands
in the church. Near the alter in the chancel you may see the graves of
Shakespeare, his wife Anne, his eldest daughter Susanna, her husband Dr.
Hall and son-in-law Thomas Nash. An intriguing curse upon the stone slab
marking Shakespeare's grave reads:
Frend for Jesus sake forbeare
To digg the dust encloased heare:
Blese be ye man yt spares thes stones
And curst be he yt moves my bones.
the north wall of the chancel is a monument to Shakespeare, with a painted
bust carved from Cotswold stone that is thought to closely resemble the
13 Chapel Street, Stratford-upon-Avon. The exterior of this building shows
15 scenes from Shakespeare's plays in terracotta relief.
VI SCHOOL & GUILDHALL
Church Street, Stratford-upon-Avon
normally open to the public
The Guildhall was built in 1417, and consisted of a rood hall and armoury
with an upper hall on the first floor. The Guild was suppressed during
the reign of Henry VIII, and the property confiscated by the Crown. Later,
the town's Grammar School, which had used a building known as the Pedagogue's
House, was granted the use of the upper hall by Edward VI. It is almost
certain that the young Shakespeare was taught at the Grammar School, although
no records survive to prove this. William would have received a good Elizabethan
education here, his studies including Latin, rhetoric, history and the
poetry of Ovid which was later to inspire his own plays and poems.
Magic Alley, Unit 23A Bell Court, Stratford upon Avon CV37 6EX
Tel: 01789 290969
Open every day (except Christmas Day) 10.30am to 5pm.
Situated on the first floor of Number 21 Henley Street, This exhibition of privately collected artifacts
and curios, books and opinions spread over three floors of the most haunted
building in Stratford is just the way to wile away an hour or so.
Publishing is unable to provide any further information on Stratford-upon-Avon
than is already available on this website. For further information please contact the Stratford-upon-Avon
Tourist Information Centre.