Mushroom Maps and Guides (Cambridge) - Image not displayed: use text links at bottom of pageOnline bannerCambridge, Cambridgeshire


| Home | -- | Cambridge | -- University of Cambridge

Cambridge Index
Places to Visit
Cambridge Colleges
Arts and Leisure
Tours of Cambridge
Events in Cambridge
Useful Information
Transport and Travel
Sports in Cambridge
The Surrounding Area
Books on Cambridge
Cambridge Links
Where to Buy the Map

Help Page

Other Towns

In association with:
Internet Bookshop


Every reasonable effort has been made to ensure that the information given is correct, but Mushroom Publishing cannot accept responsibility for any errors or omissions.

To avoid disappointment, we recommend that you contact the venue ahead of your visit to check the details.

Please contact us with your suggestions, ideas, comments, or new information.

University of Cambridge

The information presented on the Cambridge pages is based on the Cambridge City Centre Street Map and Guide

Please remember that the colleges are places of study and residence, so it is important to be quiet at all times. Opening hours vary through the year and we recommend checking before your visit.

CHRIST'S COLLEGE, St Andrew's Street (C3). Founded in 1439 by William Byngham and again in 1505 by Lady Margaret Beaufort. The Fellows Garden is beautiful. Charles Darwin and John Milton were students here.

CHURCHILL COLLEGE, Storey's Way, off Madingley Road (A2). Founded as a memorial to Sir Winston Churchill in 1960, the Library has many of his books and papers.

CLARE COLLEGE, Trinity Lane (B3). Originally founded in 1326 and founded again in 1338 by Lady Elizabeth de Clare. The college was mainly rebuilt in the 17th century. Clare Bridge and the Fellows' Gardens are well worth seeing.

CLARE HALL, Grange Road, off Madingley Road (A2). Founded in 1965 by Clare College as a graduate college.

CORPUS CHRISTI COLLEGE, Trumpington Street (B4). Founded in 1352. The library has a priceless collection of Anglo-Saxon manuscripts. Sir Francis Drake and Christopher Marlowe were students here.

DARWIN COLLEGE, Queen's Road (A4). Founded in 1964 as a post-graduate college. Some of the buildings were the home of Charles Darwin's family.

DOWNING COLLEGE, Regent Street (C4). Founded in 1800, it is architecturally very interesting. F R Leavis was a Fellow here.

EMMANUEL COLLEGE, St. Andrew's Street (C3). Founded 1584. The college chapel was designed by Christopher Wren in 1666. John Harvard, founder of Harvard University, studied here.

FITZWILLIAM COLLEGE, Huntingdon Road (off A1). Originally opened as a Hall of Residence in 1869, it became a college in 1966.

GIRTON COLLEGE, Huntingdon Road (off A1). Founded in 1869, it was the first women's college.

GONVILLE AND CAIUS COLLEGE, Trinity Street (B3). Founded in 1348 as Gonville Hall and renamed Gonville and Caius in 1558 by John Caius. He designed three gates to symbolise academic progress, the Gates of Humility, Virtue and Honour. William Harvey, who discovered the circulation of blood, studied here.

HOMERTON COLLEGE, Hills Road (off E6). Homerton Academy was established in London in 1768. In 1894 it moved to Cambridge and became Homerton College, it is now the University's teacher-training college.

HUGHES HALL, Mortimer Road (E4). Founded in 1885 for women graduates.

JESUS COLLEGE, Jesus Lane (C2). Originally a Benedictine nunnery, it was founded as a college by Bishop John Alcock in 1496. The chapel is decorated by William Morris and Edward Burne-Jones. Samuel Taylor Coleridge studied here.

KING'S COLLEGE, King's Parade (B3). Founded in 1441 by Henry VI. Former students include Horace Walpole, Rupert Brooke and E.M. Forster. King's College Chapel was begun in 1446 and completed in 1526. It has the largest fan-vaulted ceiling in the world, and magnificent stained glass windows. Rubens "Adoration of the Magi", painted in 1634, is displayed over the altar.

LUCY CAVENDISH COLLEGE, Lady Margaret Road (A2). Founded in 1965 to promote women's education.

MAGDALENE COLLEGE, Magdalene Street (B2). Founded in 1542 (although there had been a Benedictine community here since 1428). The library was named after Samuel Pepys, who left his diary manuscripts to it. Charles Kingsley studied here.

NEW HALL, Huntingdon Road (off A1). Founded in 1954 for women students.

NEWNHAM COLLEGE, Sidgwick Avenue (off A5). Founded in 1871 as a ladies college. Many outstanding women have studied here including Sylvia Plath, A.S. Byatt and actress Emma Thompson.

PEMBROKE COLLEGE, Trumpington Street (B4). Founded in 1347. The chapel was designed by Christopher Wren in 1663. Students include William Pitt, Thomas Gray and Edmund Spenser, author of The Faerie Queene.

PETERHOUSE, Trumpington Street (B4). Founded in 1284, it is the oldest college in Cambridge. Lord Kelvin and Godfrey Washington (Great Uncle to George) studied here.

QUEENS' COLLEGE, Queens' Lane, off Silver Street (B4). Founded in 1448. Named after two queens; Margaret of Anjou and Elizabeth Woodville. See the attractive Tudor lodge, and Mathematical Bridge which links the old and new parts of the College.

ROBINSON COLLEGE, Grange Road, off Madingley Road (A2). Founded 1977.

ST. CATHARINE'S COLLEGE, Trumpington Street (B4). Founded in 1473 as a theological college. Most of the original buildings were replaced in the 17th and 18th centuries. John Addenbrooke, founder of Cambridge's hospital, was a student here.

ST. EDMUND'S COLLEGE, Mount Pleasant (A1). Founded in 1896.

ST. JOHN'S COLLEGE, St. John's Street (B2). Founded in 1511. The "Bridge of Sighs" can be seen behind the college. William Wordsworth studied here.

SELWYN COLLEGE, Grange Road, off Madingley Road (A2). Founded in 1882.

SIDNEY SUSSEX COLLEGE, Sidney Street (B3). Founded in 1596. Oliver Cromwell studied here (his head is buried in the chapel).

TRINITY COLLEGE, Trinity Street (B3). Cambridge's largest college, founded in 1546 by Henry VIII. The library was designed by Wren and completed in 1690. Isaac Newton, Byron, Tennyson, Thackeray and Prince Charles studied here.

TRINITY HALL, Trinity Lane (A3). Founded in 1350. The Elizabethan library is well worth seeing.

WOLFSON COLLEGE, Barton Road (A6). Originally founded in 1965 as University College, the name was changed after a donation from Isaac Wolfson in 1973.

For further information about Cambridge, including a free visitor pack, please contact the Cambridge Tourist Information Centre.



Mushroom Maps Home | Mushroom Publishing Home | Contact Us | Search


Copyright © Mushroom Publishing 1999-2023. Last updated March 25, 2002 . Terms and Conditions . Privacy Policy