Places to Visit
Arts and Leisure
Tours of Salisbury
Events in Salisbury
Transport and Travel
Food and Drink
Shopping in Salisbury
Sports in Salisbury
The Surrounding Area
Books on Salisbury
Where to Buy the Map
Every reasonable effort has
been made to ensure that the information given is correct, but Mushroom
Publishing cannot accept responsibility for any errors or omissions.
To avoid disappointment,
we recommend that you contact the venue ahead of your visit to check the
us with your suggestions, ideas, comments, or new information.
to Visit in Salisbury
The information presented on
these Salisbury pages is based on the Salisbury
City Centre Street Map and Guide 2002
Castle Road, Salisbury, Wiltshire (about 1½ miles north of Salisbury on
the A345). Tel: 01722 335398.
This is a massive site (56 acres), nearly a mile in circumference and
surrounded by a defensive ditch which was originally an Iron Age hillfort.
The settlement became increasingly important until by the 12th century
it had become a thriving medieval city called Vetus Saresberie. During
the Roman occupation many Roman roads met at the fortress, the Saxons
added a royal mint, and a royal castle was built by the Normans. The first
cathedral was built here between 1075 and 1092, but it was struck by lightning
and badly damaged a few days after completion. A second cathedral was
built by about 1130. However, the bleak, windswept location and the frequent
squabbles between the clergy and the garrison prompted Bishop Poore to
ask the Pope for permission to move the Cathedral. The Pope agreed and
work began on the new Cathedral in 1220. Old Sarum was completely abandoned
by 1540. Today you can see the ruins of the Norman castle, cathedral and
Bishop's Palace. There are excellent views from the ruins.
Open every day from April to October 10am-6pm, and November to March
10am-4pm. Refreshments are available and there is an excellent gift shop.
The Close, Salisbury, Wiltshire. Tel: 01722 555120.
The Cathedral Church of the Blessed Virgin Mary was consecrated in 1258.
The soaring spire was begun some time later and completed c.1315. It reaches
to 404 feet and is the highest in England. This architectural gem where
people have worshipped God for over 700 years, has an enduring grace and
spirituality. Inside you can see inspiring stained-glass windows, monuments
and memorials, the oldest cloisters in any English cathedral and the earliest
working clock in England (c.1386). The Chapter House was built between
1263 and 1284 and contains many treasures including a 13th century frieze,
a fan-vaulted ceiling, and one of the four original Magna Carta documents.
Services: Morning Worship with Holy Communion daily at 7.30am, and Choral
Evensong usually at 5.30pm. On Sundays: 8am Holy Communion, 10am Sung
Eucharist and sermon, 11.30am Matins and sermon, 3pm Choral Evensong.
Open every day of the year. Monday to Saturday 7.15am-6.15pm (late
opening until 7.15pm June to August), Sundays 7.15am-6.15pm.
The Chapter House (and Magna Carta) is open daily except Christmas Day:
March to October, Monday to Saturday 9.30am - 5.30pm (late opening until
6.45pm June to August),
Sunday 12pm-5.30pm; November to February, Monday to Saturday 10am-5.15pm,
Tours of the cathedral tower are available from January to November and
in Christmas week, Monday to Saturday at specified times. Guides are always
on hand if you have any questions.
There is a gift shop and self-service restaurant serving drinks, snacks
and hot meals.
Facilities for the disabled.
A donation is requested (but not required) on entry to the cathedral.
The Close is the precinct of Salisbury's ecclesiastical community,
and it is the largest close in England. Many medieval buildings, including
the Old Deanery and the Bishop's Palace, grew up around the new Cathedral
to provide accommodation for members of the clergy, their servants, and
craftsmen working on the Cathedral. Gradually the inhabitants of Old Sarum
left to set up home in New Sarum, where the land was fertile and water
was plentiful. During the 14th century tension between clergy and the
city folk increased and in 1331 stone from the abandoned Cathedral at
Old Sarum was used to build a wall around the Close. There are three gateways
in the wall: High Street Gate (C4), St. Ann's Gate (D5), and Harnham Gate
(C6). The High Street Gate once had a portcullis that was lowered when
the citizens became rebellious. The Gates are still locked every night
THE BISHOP'S PALACE:
The Close, Salisbury, Wiltshire.
This is now the Cathedral School and not generally open to the public.
The undercroft dates from 1220, and the 17th century staircase and attractive
south front were added by Bishop Seth Ward.
SALISBURY AND SOUTH WILTSHIRE MUSEUM:
The King's House, 65 The Close, Salisbury, Wiltshire, SP1 2EN.
Tel: 01722 332151, Fax: 01722 325611. email
This museum has won many awards for its displays and exhibitions of
local history from early man to the present day. Highlights include the
Stonehenge gallery, the Pitt Rivers Collection, Dr. Neighbour's Surgery,
the History of Salisbury, and the Giant and Hob Nob. There are displays
of costume, lace and embroidery, Wedgwood, ceramics, early photographs
and paintings which include watercolours by Turner.
Open Monday to Saturday all year 10am-5pm, and Sundays in July and
August 2pm-5pm. Gift Shop and Hatcher's Coffee Shop serving drinks, snacks
and hot meals. Wheelchair access to all ground floor galleries, special
exhibitions, the coffee shop and gift shop.
Cathedral Close, Salisbury SP1 2EX. Tel: 01722 414536.
The Salisbury Museum of the Royal Gloucestershire, Berkshire and Wiltshire
Regiment houses the Berkshire and Wiltshire collections of the Regiment,
which tells the story of their exploits throughout the world since 1743.
The "Wardrobe" building is so-called because it was originally used by
the Bishop as a secure place to keep his vestments and documents. It was
built in 1254 and is one of the oldest buildings in The Close, although
the present building of brick, flint and stone dates mainly from the 15th
century. You can enjoy excellent views across the water meadows from the
peaceful riverside gardens.
Open from April to October every day 10am-5pm. Closed Mondays in February,
March, November and December. Closed January. Good wheelchair access.
The acclaimed Bernieres Tea Room serves drinks, snacks and hot meals.
THE MEDIEVAL HALL:
Cathedral Close, Salisbury, Wiltshire. Tel: 01722 412472.
This beautiful 13th century building was once the Great Hall of the original
Deanery. "Secrets of Salisbury" at the Medieval Hall is a 30 minute audio-visual
presentation on the past and present of Salisbury. The presentation runs
every hour on the hour and can be watched while enjoying morning coffee,
lunchtime snacks or afternoon tea. During the winter the hall is the venue
for classical and jazz concerts, exhibitions and functions.
Secrets of Salisbury is open from April to September every day from
11am-5pm. Gift Shop and refreshments.
Choristers' Green, Cathedral Close, Salisbury, Wiltshire.
Tel: 01722 335659.
This impressive Queen Anne style house was built for Charles Mompesson
in 1701, and is now owned by the National Trust. The elegance of the exterior
is matched by the interior, with its beautiful carved oak staircase and
fine plasterwork, added by a later resident, Charles Longeville, in about
1740. The rooms are furnished in period style and you may see the Turnbull
collection of 18th century drinking glasses. There is a delightful and
peaceful town garden, enclosed by the Cathedral Close wall where you may
enjoy light refreshments from the Garden Tea Room.
Open from April to September, Saturday to Wednesday 12pm-5.30pm (last
admission 5.00pm). Closed Thursday and Friday. Wheelchair access to ground
floor, garden and tea room only.
15 The Close, Salisbury, Wiltshire. Tel: 01722 327027.
This house has been altered many times since it was originally built as
a Canonry in the 13th century. The West Front was designed by Sir Christopher
Wren, and on the south wall of the house is a striking blue and gold sundial.
The house has many tales to tell about the people who have lived here,
including the Earls of Malmesbury, and the part it has played in England's
turbulent history. There are secret hiding places, peepholes, and a ghost.
Handel gave his first concert in England in the room above St. Ann's Gate
and King Charles II hid here in 1765 to escape the plague. This is a family
home, and viewing is by guided tour only.
The house is open to groups by prior arrangement only. No wheelchair
COLLEGE OF MATRONS:
High Street, Salisbury, Wiltshire. Founded in 1682 by Bishop Seth
Ward to house twelve widows of the clergy, which it still does today.
This attractive building may have been designed by Sir Christopher Wren
who was taught by Ward at Oxford.
ST. THOMAS'S CHURCH:
St. Thomas's Square, Salisbury, Wiltshire.
This church was originally wooden, and was built around 1220 possibly
as a place of worship for the people working on the cathedral. The building
that we see today dates from the 15th century. The church is well worth
a visit for its many treasures including the magnificent medieval doom
JOHN A'PORT'S HOUSE:
Queen Street, Salisbury, Wiltshire.
Built in 1425 by John a'Port, who was a wool merchant and Mayor of Salisbury
six times. Inside is a beautiful carved fireplace and Elizabethan panelling.
JOHN HALLE'S HALL (ODEON CINEMA):
New Canal, Salisbury, Wiltshire.
John Halle was a wealthy clothier who was elected mayor of Salisbury four
times and was Salisbury's MP. He built this house in 1470. It was carefully
restored in the 19th century and is now the very grand foyer of the Odeon
St. Ann Street, Salisbury, Wiltshire.
This National Trust property was once the meeting place of the Joiners'
Guild. No doubt to show off their skills the front of this 17th century
building is beautifully carved.
Trinity Street, Salisbury, Wiltshire.
Founded in 1379 by Agnes Bottenham who ran a brothel here. As an act of
penance she opened the hospital to give shelter to 12 poor residents and
12 poor visitors. The current building dates from 1702. It has been recently
restored and is still used as an almshouse.
Butcher Row, Salisbury, Wiltshire.
New Salisbury was a bustling, medieval trading centre, and the 15th century
Poultry Cross, originally one of four market crosses, stands in the centre
of the city's historic market place, where many of the nearby street names
reveal the activities of the past. Stalls selling local produce are still
laid out around the Poultry Cross at the local market held on Tuesdays
Built in 1244 by Bishop Bingham, this was one of several bridges,
including Crane Bridge (B4) and Fisherton Bridge (C4), which helped New
Salisbury prosper as a trading centre and market place for the surrounding
area by improving access to the city.
Bridge Street, Salisbury, Wiltshire.
The present building, now a restaurant, dates from the 17th century, but
it is likely that earlier mills stood here, making use of the energy from
the gushing waters. It may have been the site of a mill owned by the Bishop
of Old Sarum, which is mentioned in the Doomsday Book. Follow the river
back through into the Maltings shopping arcade to enjoy a riverside walk
with ducks and swans. Harnham Mill, also a restaurant, is an attractive
15th century building at the end of the Town Path.
There are many ancient inns in Salisbury that provided lodgings and refreshments
for the workers, pilgrims and traders who flocked to the city. They include
the 15th century Pheasant Inn, and the King's Arms in St.
John's Street which has been connected with a plot to help King Charles
II escape after the Battle of Worcester. Part of the Red Lion Hotel
was built in the 13th century as a hostel for the draughtsmen involved
in the building of the cathedral. Much of it is 18th century, and it is
an excellent example of a coaching inn of the period. The 14th century
Old George in High Street now forms the entrance to The Old George
Mall. Samuel Pepys stayed here in 1668, but left after one night outraged
at the expense. The Haunch of Venison, dating from 1320, displays
a severed hand which was found during redecoration work, still holding
18th century playing cards. The White Hart, in St. John Street,
was one of Salisbury's coaching inns, and it dates from the 18th century.
The Blue Boar, since demolished, is where the Duke of Buckingham
was beheaded in 1483.
For further information about Salisbury, including a free visitor
pack, please contact the Salisbury Tourist